Disabled People’s Peer Counselling Service

We are a BACP Accredited, confidential counselling service for disabled people and their families throughout Derbyshire.

This page is designed to answer some of the questions you may have. We hope it will help you to make an informed decision about using the Counselling service.

Service accredited by BACP - www.bacp.co.uk/services. BACP is the Trade Mark of the British Association for Counselling and PsychotherapyThe BACP Service Accreditation Scheme helps the public and practitioners identify services providing a high standard of counselling/psychotherapy. Learn more about what BACP accreditation means on their website.

BACP Reference no. 100147. 


What is DCIL Peer Counselling?

Peer counselling offered by DCIL means counselling by disabled people who are professionally trained in counselling. Our counsellors have direct experience of disability. The service is offered to disabled people, their families and carers, and couples who are dealing with issues raised by disability, throughout Derbyshire.

Our Counselling is one part of a support service developed by disabled people themselves. It follows a model where all the influences that make up our experience of disability – personal, social, environmental – are seen as a whole.

Counselling deals with the feelings people experience in everyday life. It can help to recover your own inner resources and strengths, and to reach a better feeling of control and responsibility in your life.

Counselling provides a place where you are taken seriously, valued and accepted, even when you may not be feeling particularly good about yourself.

Counsellors do not make decisions for you, but support you to come to your own decisions in your own way and your own time.


Who goes for Counselling?

People seek counselling for different reasons:

  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • To help with confidence
  • To recognise and tackle disabling influences in their lives
  • To improve relationships with other



What about Parents and Carers of disabled children?

Parents and Carers of disabled children may be dealing with many different emotions and have many different ways of coping. Each parent or carer has their own expectations and ways of living alongside disability. In counselling it is possible to work through these emotions and expectations, and explore relationships with your disabled child and significant others.


How do I get to see a Counsellor?

If you feel counselling could help you, please contact us by phone, email, letter, or call in and ask for the Counselling Service.

E-mail: counsell@dcil.org.uk

With your permission a GP/Social Worker/Support Worker etc. can also refer you.


How much does it cost?

While our counsellors are mainly volunteers, we do ask for a minimum donation of £5 per session, or £10 for a couple’s session, to cover costs. As a registered charity any additional donations are always very welcomeBlind girl with a dog.


What level of experience do counsellors have?

DCIL has both Level 4/Post Graduate qualified Counsellors working towards accreditation and counselling students on professional training courses and on placement. If you want more information on the level of qualifications our counsellors have please contact us.


Want to know more?

For even more information about our counselling service please visit our Further information page or contact us on the details above.




Counselling Directory Logo - A service to find professional counsellors


If you decide to look for counselling elsewhere and want help finding a counsellor in your local area, you can visit the Counselling Directory.






Safer Derbyshire logoDDCIL is a member of the Derbyshire Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Partnership. Please visit our Safeguarding page or the Safer Derbyshire website for more information.